Saturday, May 10, 2008

Background Maneuver

OK - so photoshop kicked my ass a bit this week, but I feel better after completing our latest assignment and I'm feeling all excited about it again.

I thought it would be interesting to combine these 2 images to capture the various personalities of Paris. I initally chose them to show a more regal vs. more seedy side, however after reading the history of both places, I found there was even more to it than my initial feeling.

Both are distinctive landmarks of the city, but in different ways. The Arc de Triomphe is a historic monument - it's initial design dates back to 1806 and was built to recognize victories and honor those that fought in various wars. It also houses the tomb of the unknown soldier, an eternal flame that burns for the soldiers that died in the World Wars. The infamous Moulin Rouge was initially representative of a more carefree time in Paris, gaining popularity between wars, during a time when the overall attitude of the city was changing. It was the original home of controversial cabaret shows and can-can dancers, but now is more of a tourist trap.

Like in many European cities, I like the mixture of old and new in Paris and to see how current society intertwines with traditional history. It makes site-seeing that much more interesting since there are so many layers to explore.


Original images courtesy of google image search
Arc de Triomphe and Moulin Rouge

No comments: